IN YOUR DAILY DOSE today you’ll discover that food-borne illnesses, while on the rise, are not all causes by rotting meat or contaminated vegetables. What is the connection to dry food goods?
IN MAKING CHANGES today are the strategies you can use to reduce the potential that you or your family will suffer from food poisoning.
IN FACT OR FICTION you’ll discover what really happens to Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers Quarterback, each time he gives away a football.
In The News
After the recent number of food-borne illness outbreaks, researchers from the University of Georgia, discovered that pathogens, like salmonella, can survive for up to six months in cookies and crackers. Lead author, Larry Beuchat, a Distinguished Professor Emeritus and researcher in the UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, said,
"There have been an increased number of outbreaks of diseases associated with consumption of contaminated dry foods. We wouldn't expect salmonella to grow in foods that have a very dry environment.”
These dry environments include dry food goods, like cookies or cracker sandwiches, that consumers normally don’t consider high risk foods for food poisoning.
Daily Health Tip
Food poisoning is more common with other meats and casserole type foods. Bacteria grows rapidly in foods when they sit outside of safe refrigeration temperatures. Between 40 degrees and 140 degrees Fahrenheit, bacteria can grow extremely rapidly. You job is to keep your food at less than 40 degrees in your fridge and freezer so it will last longer and be safe for consumption.
1. Get a thermometer for your fridge to maintain correct temperature for food storage.
2. Don’t leave leftover cooked meat in the fridge for more than 4 days.
3. Use meat and other consumable foods by their “use by” dates.
4. Ground meats can be refrigerated for 2 days and frozen for up to 4 months if the freezer maintains temperature.
5. Not all bad meat will turn colors or smell rancid.
6. Look for bad smell, different colors or slime on the food which will indicate that it has gone bad.
My Daily Affirmation
Today, I am glad that my peaceful demeanor is helping to provide a happy home for my family. When my family is happy, I feel that all is right with my world!
1. How can I provide a more peaceful environment at home?
2. What strategies do I use to keep calm?
3. How can I teach my children stress-reduction methods?
Fact Or Fiction?
Carolina Panthers Quarterback Cam Newton likes to give away footballs after the game, but the NFL has a rule about that. Find out what happens when Cam gives away the ball.
Have a wonderful day!
Your Healthy Life America Team