IN YOUR DAILY DOSE: you’ll discover what you may already know - quality sleep improves your overall mood.
MAKING CHANGES: I’ll give you specific strategies to improve the quality of the sleep you get.
FACT OR FICTION: Did you know that a drug used on humans also has a significant effect on flowers? Just 1 mg of this and your flowers stay fresher one week longer than expected!
In The News
New research from the University of Illinois demonstrates people who suffer from depression or anxiety may have a more difficult time modulating or regulating their mood if they get less sleep, or poor quality sleep.
Past research has demonstrated that a lack of sleep makes just about everything more difficult - from doing math equations, to regulating your mood or focusing on your driving. In fact, just a slight amount of sleep deprivation makes your brain function as if you’ve drunk alcohol.
This research also found poor sleep reduced the ability of the participants to accurately remember how much sleep they did get in the past month.
Daily Health Tip
Sleep is essential to your health, your mental health and even the overall risk you suffer of developing dementia as you grow older.
Sleep is essential, but not as easily acquired as you may have imagined. Although you are asleep, it doesn’t mean the sleep you get is quality rest. To ensure you protect your health, try some of these strategies.
- Sleep in a completely dark room. If you can see your hand in front of your face, the room has too much light. Light reduces the amount of melatonin you produce, which in turn reduces the quality of your sleep.
- Get exposed to bright light in the morning hours to signal your body to shut down your melatonin production and get ready for the next night.
- Exercise during the day.
- Cut off your caffeine intake after 2pm.
- Take 15 minutes to unwind before going to bed.
- Use your bed for sleeping or intimate relations with your spouse - and nothing else. Television, work, and other digital equipment should be left for another room.
- Stop eating at least three hours before going to bed. Adding calories at a time when your body doesn’t need it increases your metabolism when it should be resting.
- Use blue blocking lenses after the sun goes down to signal to your body that it’s time to start producing melatonin. Most digital equipment produces blue light which has the biggest effect on melatonin.
- Adjust the temperature in your room - keep the thermostat between 67 and 70. As you fall asleep your core temperature begins to drop. Sleeping in a warm room disturbs your sleep.
Freedom is within my reach.
I have the power to liberate myself. Freedom is within my grasp.
I control my decisions. I shape my life by the way I choose to think. I manage my emotions and respond constructively to any events that come my way. My attitude helps me to feel at ease.
Fact or Fiction?
Did you know that a drug used on humans also has a significant effect on flowers? Just 1 mg of this and your flowers stay fresher one week longer than expected!
Did you know that researchers from Israel and Australia found that 1 mg of Viagra, the drug used to treat impotence in men, would maintain flowers for 1 week beyond their natural time. The usual dose for men is 50 mg and the researchers found 1 mg enough to treat 2 vases of flowers. Other testing has been done on strawberries, roses, carnations and broccoli to extend their shelf life.
Have a wonderful day!
Your Healthy Life America Team