IN YOUR DAILY DOSE today is research from Georgetown University which demonstrates a significant effect that resveratrol has on the development of Alzheimer’s disease.
IN MAKING CHANGES you’ll discover 7 simple things you can do to help prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia.
IN FACT OR FICTION you’ll learn about some interesting benefits to taking a vacation. These benefits don’t include stress reduction or having fun!
In The News
In 2015 there were over 5 million Americans who suffered with Alzheimer’s Disease. This form of dementia is debilitating, progressive and devastating to the patient and family. In the largest nationwide clinical trial to study the effect of high-dose resveratrol on Alzheimer’s disease, researchers from Georgetown University demonstrated a significant positive change.
Resveratrol is naturally found in red grapes, red wine, dark chocolate and raspberries. Results from the study, published in Neurology, demonstrated that a biomarker which increases with time in individuals who suffer from Alzheimer’s disease, declined when the individuals took high doses of resveratrol.
The progression of the disease was stabilized, using 1,000 mg of resveratrol twice a day. That’s approximately the amount found in 1,000 bottles of red wine. Researchers believe that the supplement was able to penetrate the blood brain barrier but could not say unequivocally that the resveratrol halted the progression of the disease.
Daily Health Tip
Alzheimer’s is a disease which devastates patients and families. This new research may help people who already suffer from Alzheimer’s, but it is also important to do your best to reduce the potential that you will suffer from this disease. Making small changes in your daily activities can reduce your risk and improve your current overall health.
1. Support your immune system through 8 hours of sleep, stay fully hydrated, eating a balanced diet and getting 30 minutes of exercise each day.
2. Reduce your stress levels.
3. Get 8 hours of sleep each night. Although it was included in #1, this is a very important aspect of maintaining the health of your brain. Researchers have found that chronic sleep deprivation will increase your risk of dementia.
4. Maintain a healthy gut microbiome. You can do this by reducing your use of antibiotics, eating fermented foods and taking a probiotic.
5. Stay mentally stimulated. Learn a new skill, solve crossword puzzles, play games or anything else that stimulates your thinking and cognitive skills.
My Daily Affirmation
1. What procedures can I set up to help organize my family's finances?
2. What tools can I use to make managing my finances easier?
3. Does my budget fit my lifestyle? How can I make it more realistic?
Fact Or Fiction?
Vacations are fun, exciting, relaxing and build strength. But, you may not value taking one each year because you may not value those benefits. There are several other benefits for taking a vacation that most people value. Do you know what they are? Click here to find out!
Have a wonderful day!
Your Healthy Life America Team