IN YOUR DAILY DOSE today is research that points to new treatments for central sleep apnea that are practiced easily. There are two types of sleep apnea - central and peripheral. Central sleep apnea originates from brain changes while the peripheral apnea is the result of soft palate changes or weakness.
IN MAKING CHANGES today are strategies you can use to improve your restorative sleep, getting more rest and reducing your risk of dementia, diabetes and obesity.
IN FACT OR FICTION you’ll learn some of the statistics about breast cancer and your health.
In The News
Research from the University of Edinburgh has offered insights into the signals from the brain that regulate breathing. These insights can improve the treatment of sleep apnea and may also improve treatments for individuals living at high altitudes, when oxygen levels are low.
The researchers identified an enzyme, AMPK, that regulated breathing when oxygen levels were low in genetically modified mice. The researchers postulated that this same problem may exist in individuals who suffer from central sleep apnea.
Daily Health Tip
Poor sleep quality is linked with obesity, heart disease, diabetes and dementia. Improving your sleep quality can reduce your risk of these conditions. If you suffer from central sleep apnea or peripheral sleep apnea it is very important that you address those issues with your doctor. Without treatment your risk of disease and even death is much higher.
Although you can’t change sleep apnea without treatment, there are strategies you can use to improve the quality of sleep you get if you do NOT suffer from sleep apnea.
1. Use your bed only for sleep and sex. Keep the computer, television, games, work and anything else out of bed. Your body will get used to going to sleep when your head hits the sheets.
2. Sleep in total darkness. Shield your alarm clock, don’t sleep with your phone next to the bed and use room darkening blinds. If all this isn’t possible, then use a sleep mask.
3. Keep the room at 70 degrees or lower. Your body temperature naturally falls during the night. If you increase your temperature because the room is warmer your sleep is not as restful.
4. Sleep with socks on to keep your feet warm.
5. Read before going to bed. The lights from the computer screen or television will affect your brain and make it more difficult to fall asleep.
My Daily Affirmation
I am patient with my investments. I know that the market regularly rises and falls in the short term, so I am invested for the long term. Time makes all the difference!
Today, I intend to research some new investments. I know that taking my time to find reliable data provides me with the knowledge to make a wise decision.
Fact Or Fiction?
Breast cancer will affect one of every eight women and is the second leading cause of death in women. What else do you know about this cancer?
Breast cancer will affect 1 out of every 8 women in the world. It is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women and the second leading cause of death among women. Although rare, there will be 2350 men who are diagnosed with breast cancer each year and 440 of them will die. However, while it is the second leading cause of death from cancer, there are over 2.9 million breast cancer survivors alive in the US today.
Have a wonderful day!
Your Healthy Life America Team