IN YOUR DAILY DOSE: today is research from the University of Texas Southwestern that demonstrates something you likely may have already guess.
MAKING CHANGES: Exercise is one of the foundational pillars of everyone’s health and wellness. We’ll give you simple strategies to include it in your daily routine.
FACT OR FICTION: Depression affects an enormous number of people in the US. However, there are a few treatments you may not know about. . .
In The News
Researchers from the University of Texas Southwestern have discovered that exercise is not only good for your heart - but if you’ve been sedentary and a couch potato most of your life it’s not too late to start exercising that will improve your heart health.
Exercise can REVERSE damage to aging hearts and reduce your risk of heart failure and heart attacks.
Daily Health Tip
Exercise is foundational to your health whether you currently suffer from illness or disease or not. Please take this information to HEART and start today!
Including an exercise program in your daily routine may be challenging - especially as most people say the reason they don’t exercise is because they don’t have enough time in their day. However, you don’t have to go to the gym, buy expensive equipment or take hours out of your day to accomplish your goals.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Have a reason you want to start exercising - but pay attention to how you feel while you’re exercising and after you’re done. Studies show that your extrinsic reason for exercise - your reason why - may help you get started but won’t keep you going. People who recognize how much better they feel after the workout, and recognize the benefits they experience, are the people who keep going.
- Exercise can be as simple as a 20 minute walk after dinner each night, or training for a triathalon. The choice is yours.
- It’s important to NOT overdo it nor set goals you’ll never achieve. You may want to complete a marathon - but start by walking, then a one mile run, then a 3K and onward. Start with what you know you can achieve and continue to set your goals higher and higher.
- Pay attention to how your body feels during and after your workout - don’t workout past pain that is more than tired muscles. You won’t gain anything except an injury that sidelines you for weeks.
- Consider small pieces of equipment for your home - jump rope, rebounder, rowing machine, small indoor bike - to help change what you’re doing each day without having to go to the gym.
- Look for body weight exercise videos on YouTube - you won’t have to go to the gym to get in your strength training. You have everything you need at home.
My daily fitness routine consists of activities that keep my mind and body energized. Workouts that balance physical activity and meditation are good for me.
Today, I commit to continuing my regimen of self-care. I see and know the benefits of taking care of my body. It is my treasured vessel that takes me through each day and it is my responsibility to preserve it.
Fact or Fiction?
Although you might believe that more people suffer from depression during the holidays, actually more suffer from depression during the summer months. Unfortunately, depression will also distort your thinking and your perception of what’s happening in your life. 65 percent of the time you’ll experience depression as anxiety which can originate from a situation or from a biochemical imbalance. There is help if you suffer from anxiety or depression with therapists, pharmaceutical medications and talk therapy. Ask your doctor about using personalized treatment based on your genetic testing. It increases the likelihood that you’ll find the right medication more quickly.
Have a wonderful day!
Your Healthy Life America Team