IN YOUR DAILY DOSE: today is research demonstrating that both your aerobic exercise and yoga is beneficial to your health - and putting them together may give you even greater benefits.
MAKING CHANGES: Exercise is foundational to your health and we’ll give you strategies to incorporate it painlessly.
FACT OR FICTION: Breast cancer will affect one of every eight women and is the second leading cause of death in women. What else do you know about this cancer?
In The News
Research from the American College of Cardiology demonstrates patients with heart disease who practiced both yoga and aerobic exercises experienced greater than double the benefits of those who did one or the other. They experienced twice the reduction of blood pressure, cholesterol and body mass index.
Lifestyle interventions are the best strategies to reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke as all medications come with side effects, many of which are dangerous and some lethal. If you are already taking medication it’s important to incorporate lifestyle changes FIRST and coordinate any discontinuation of medication WITH your physician.
Daily Health Tip
Exercise is foundational to your health, no matter your age, health or weight. Everyone benefits from movement and exercise on their mood, physical health and in the reduction of premature death.
Including an exercise program in your daily routine may be challenging - especially as most people say the reason they don’t exercise is because they don’t have enough time in their day. However, you don’t have to go to the gym, buy expensive equipment or take hours out of your day to accomplish your goals.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Have a reason you want to start exercising - but pay attention to how you feel while you’re exercising and after you’re done. Studies show that your extrinsic reason for exercise - your reason why - may help you get started but won’t keep you going. People who recognize how much better they feel after the workout, and recognize the benefits they experience, are the people who keep going.
- Exercise can be as simple as a 20 minute walk after dinner each night, or training for a triathalon. The choice is yours.
- It’s important to NOT overdo it nor set goals you’ll never achieve. You may want to complete a marathon - but start by walking, then a one mile run, then a 3K and onward. Start with what you know you can achieve and continue to set your goals higher and higher.
- Pay attention to how your body feels during and after your workout - don’t workout past pain that is more than tired muscles. You won’t gain anything except an injury that sidelines you for weeks.
- Consider small pieces of equipment for your home - jump rope, rebounder, rowing machine, small indoor bike - to help change what you’re doing each day without having to go to the gym.
- Look for body weight exercise videos on YouTube - you won’t have to go to the gym to get in your strength training. You have everything you need at home.
I spend time with my friends and family. My loved ones refrain from judging me. They provide support and help without criticism. I know I can trust them with my thoughts, frustrations, and hopes. They help me find the joy that surrounds me.
Fact or Fiction?
Breast cancer will affect one of every eight women and is the second leading cause of death in women. What else do you know about this cancer?
Breast cancer will affect 1 out of every 8 women in the world. It is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women and the second leading cause of death among women. Although rare, there will be 2350 men who are diagnosed with breast cancer each year and 440 of them will die. However, while it is the second leading cause of death from cancer, there are over 2.9 million breast cancer survivors alive in the US today.
Have a wonderful day!
Your Healthy Life America Team